Tuesday 14 March 2017

''Seven'' (1995 film)- Review

Directed by: David Fincher
Released: 1995
Country: United States

Genre: Crime, Thriller, Drama, Mystery

Rating: 5 out of 5

Review

Oh David Fincher, David Fincher. ''Seven'' has to be one of the grittiest and darkest films I have ever watched. As such, it is also one of the most captivating and intelligent films I have ever come across. And when I say intelligent, I really, really mean it. It has a storyline so brilliant that I kept- with apprehension and fear, I might add- waiting for what might happen next, trying to guess things, and often being met with shock and horror. Yes, indeed, ''Seven'' is a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant film. 

The very first character we are introduced to is William Somerset, played by Morgan Freeman, an experienced detective who is about to retire, who, for the last few days of his career, has to work with the young David Mills, played by Brad Pitt, who has just been transferred to the city. The city is dark and has a lot of crimes going on- something that greatly upsets Tracy- the wife of Mills- played by Gwyneth Paltrow. The very first thing Somerset and Mills investigate together is the murder of an overweight man who was forced to eat until his stomach burst open. The second murder they come across together is that of a lawyer. However, one thing that deeply troubles Somerset is the fact that in the locations of both murders they could discover something written: in case of the location where the obese man was killed, the word has ''Gluttony'' is found, and in the place where the lawyer was murdered, the word ''Greed'' is written on the floor with blood. Somerset immediately thinks that the two murders are linked: the killer, whoever that is, is killing people in a way that would somehow relate to the seven deadly sins: pride, lust, greed, sloth, gluttony, wrath and envy. Somerset, experienced and having seen a lot of the criminal world, has his own ways of tracking the killer down, and Mills, initially not friendly with Somerset, eventually becomes to trust him as they investigate the gruesome murders together, as they try tracking the person who, by means nobody knows, is being able to cover his tracks and continuing to commit the gruesome acts. 

The dark atmosphere of the film is clearly reflected in the way Somerset thinks. Having been in the profession for decades, he has seen a lot of the darkness, the extent to which humans can go, how the world can be so scary, so sinister. Mills, on the other hand, young and having a lot more to see, does not feel it the way Somerset does. A feeling similar to Somerset's is reflected in the way Tracy thinks. Having lived in a safe city all her life, the city she has had to come to because of her husband's work seems unfamiliar and strange to her, with all the crimes going on around her. It is definitely not the kind of life she had ever dreamed for herself. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt both deliver excellent performances, and Gwyneth Paltrow, although having comparatively less screen presence, is great too. Kevin Spacey is unforgettable in his role as well. The screenplay is excellent- much more than excellent- and about the director, David Fincher, nothing really needs to be said. He astounded me with ''Fight Club'' and now, having seen ''Seven'', I can understand what a great filmmaker he is. 

I kept thinking about the film, the storyline, and the way it culminates so unpredictably for hours after I finished watching the film. The story is so masterfully designed, each and every brick is placed so perfectly that when I came across the final, shocking twist, I was undoubtedly surprised but at the same time, I could not admire the film enough for its sheer perfection, for the way everything falls into place, the way things lead to the finale. Trust me, I was kept in a great suspense throughout the film, and when the final scenes came along, I kept waiting, with my heart beating fast, for something that I knew was sure to shock me but at the same time, something that I thought would give the film the perfection I now know it definitely has.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment