Thursday 2 January 2014

''Interpreter of Maladies''- Book Review

Author: Jhumpa Lahiri
Published: 1999

Short story collection

Rating: 5 out of 5

Review

''Interpreter of Maladies'' is a short story collection by Jhumpa Lahiri. The nine stories in this collection are: ''A Temporary Matter'', ''Mr Pirzada Comes to Dine'', ''Interpreter of Maladies'', ''A Real Durwan'', ''Sexy'', ''Mrs Sen's'', ''This Blessed House'', ''The Treatment of Bibi Halder'' and ''The Third and Final Continent''.

I loved this short story collection. I really loved each of the short stories. Most of them were emotionally overpowering; these stories made me ponder about them after I finished reading them. The characters, the subject matter, the storytelling- all these were so memorable, so very excellent, so emotionally intense.

My favorite stories in this collection are: ''The Treatment of Bibi Halder'', ''The Third and Final Continent'' and perhaps ''A Real Durwan''. Though I loved all the nine stories, these three stories were particularly very memorable. I felt that ''A Real Durwan'' was among the saddest stories in this collection. The character of Boori Ma is developed very well, and the extremely painful ending left me shocked. ''The Third and Final Continent'' was a great story... it was, indeed! The three major characters: the narrator, Mala and Mrs Croft, were very memorable, and the story was also very touching.

Different subjects are explored in this book, such as the life of Indians abroad. For example, ''Mrs Sen's'' explores the sorrows and nostalgia of the Indians immigrants.  There also other subjects like misery, neglect, sorrow, etc.

None of the stories in this collection left me unsatisfied; in fact, I was extremely impressed with all nine of the stories. They had such a great flow, and they were so very engrossing. I could not put the book down. These stories had a lot of flow, vivid descriptions, and depth in them. Overall, I simply loved this book!

5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment